So I attended the Q&A with Ivan Gazidis (see full transcript in posts I made on this site – Part 1: https://gooneroobs.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/half-hour-into-qa-write-up/, Part 2: https://gooneroobs.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/qa-part-2/, Part 3: https://gooneroobs.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/qa-part-3-final/)
Overall what impression did he leave me with? Again, Ivan is a suave character and for me delivered what a CEO of any business does (let alone Arsenal) – drive revenue and shareholder value. He wasn’t about to unveil some amazing new £30m signing, but re-iterate his desire for Arsenal to compete at the highest level of world football.
And that he did. He sees the revenue earnt by Bayern Munuch as the hallmark/pinnacle of what Arsenal need to achieve – £300m – in order to really compete at the top. Ivan says this is realistic in about 2 years. Reading between the lines – we really won’t splash on some major signings until we reach this figure.
Hmm, let me think back, Rewind about 10 years when the move to The Emirates would help us compete with Man Utd. Forget the sugar daddy clubs which emerged since. In the time we spent trying to catch up, they moved on. Same problem here? As we reach £300m, Bayern’s revenue may increase to £500m? We will forever play catch up.
Probably the best quote of the night from Ivan – apparently we have some reasonably priced pies!!!
So looking back, scores out of 5 (0=didnt touch, 5=said it straight) if he covered what I wanted to hear:
– Congratulate Arsene on another CL qualification, 16 years straight – 0
– Wish Peter Hillwood well – 0
– Thank you for the fans for everything this season – 3
– Been some ups and downs – 4
– Downs were big and we arent happy at our lack of competitiveness – 5
– Van Persie situation was bad and we wont sell again to any PL rivals (where possible) – 4 (0)
– We will ensure player contracts are better positioned to protect our assets (length) – 4
– Salaries are high and looking for more balance and ensure players are earning their worth – 4
– Great commercial deals now in place so we can compete ON the field as well as off (previous deals hindered us) – 4
– Can compete for marquee signings and we are very active – 3
– Full faith in Arsene to take us forward and full faith in how he spends it and believe he will spend wisely, big and excitingly – 3
– Appreciate fan loyalty and recognise high ticket prices vs value for money especially in difficult economic times – 1
– Excited by our pre-season tour to Asia and the global and commercial benefits it will bring (brand Arsenal) – 0
– Stan Kronke is keen in taking more interest and really cares – 3
– Interested in what Usminov has to say/offer but must be done in the right forum – 0
– Get excited, we will compete, we have the funds and the best manager and club stadium and fans in Europe. Time to match our ambition with silverware on all fronts – 2
Until next time.